Ok so these sloes are not suburban sloes but rural Stratford-Upon-Avon sloes. There are still plenty on the Blackthorn in my neighbourhood, but these were calling to be soaked in gin and sugar.
- 450g/1lb sloes
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 1 litre/1¾ pint gin (I only used 70 cl as couldn’t buy a litre)
- Prick the sloes all over with a needle. Alternatively place in the freezer overnight to split the sloe’s skin.
- Pop sloes a large sterilised jar or bottle and pour in the sugar and the gin, seal tightly and shake well.
- Store in a cool, dark cupboard and shake every other day for a week. Then shake once a week for at least two months. I’ve been advised to leave for at lease 6 months!
- Once ready to decant, strain the sloe gin through muslin into another sterilised bottle.